Understanding the Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada

The Spouse Open Work Permit is a unique visa category that allows the spouse or common-law partner of a temporary foreign worker or international student to work in Canada for any employer and in any occupation. Unlike employer-specific work permits, which restrict the holder to work for a single employer, the SOWP offers the flexibility to work for multiple employers or even start a business.